A Jordanian official source said on Friday that there were confirmed reports of a ceasefire agreement in Southern Syria that would lead to a “reconciliation” between the Syrian regime’s forces and the opposition.
The source did not elaborate further on the reports on of an agreement in Southern Syria which is witnessing an intensive offensive by the Syrian regime since last week to regain the rebel-held areas.
Earlier, Jordanian government spokeswoman Jumana Ghunaimat told Petra, the Jordanian news agency that “Jordan welcomes any agreement for a ceasefire and de-escalation to save civilians’ lives, especially women and children.”
The Syrian regime offensive forced thousands of civilians to flee in the direction of the Jordanian border, while thousands of others sought shelter in areas close to the occupied Golan Heights.
Ghunaimat confirmed the kingdom’s refusal to allow into the country more Syrian refugees, saying: “Jordan with its limited potential and its suffocating financial crisis cannot bear the burden of receiving Syrians, but is fully prepared to cooperate with the United Nations to do its part without opening the border,” she said.
Jordan is already hosting some 666,000 UN-registered Syrian refugees.