Islamic State suicide attackers have killed at least 50 people in a triple car bomb attack among a group of refugees in northeast Syria, a medical source in the Kurdish Red Crescent says.
A large number of people were also injured in Thursday’s attack, the source said.
The attack took place at Abu Fas, near the border of Deir al-Zor and Hasaka provinces, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor said, after earlier saying at least 18 people had died.
The dead included refugees fleeing the fighting in Deir al-Zor as well as members of the Kurdish Asayish security force, the Observatory reported. Syrian state television said dozens had been killed in the attack.
The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias is pressing in from the north and a rival offensive by the Syrian army, supported by allies including Iran and Russia, is attacking it from the west.